Teeth Grinding (Bruxism) - The Facts
Bruxism refers to unconsciously grinding or clenching the teeth during the night. Bruxism can occur whilst your awake but this is rare.
The cause of bruxism is not certain, popular beliefs are that grinding and clenching of the teeth can be caused by:
- An overbite.
- Malfunction in the nervous system.
Bruxism has many negative effects, symptoms include:
- Worn down teeth
- Sensitive teeth - due to the enamel being worn down and dentin being exposed
- Decayed teeth
- Fractured or chipped teeth
- Loose teeth
- Receding gumline
- Damage to the inside of the cheek
- Sore facial muscles
- Bruxism can lead to problems with the jaw known as Tempor-Mandibular Joint syndrome (TMJ) .
Treatment of Bruxism involves having a nightguard fitted which will decrease the damage caused by bruxism. If the bruxism is obviously stress related then relaxation tecniques before sleep will also help.
Copyright 2005 Whiter Than White Teeth Whitening